Pregnancy gives rise to a multitude of questions and choices. Empower yourself by learning what you need to know about pregnancy, labor, birth, postpartum health, and other pertinent topics.
At Choices in Childbirth, we believe that nothing is quite so activating as self-education. So greet yours with gusto—after all, knowledge is power. Learning it all can feel daunting, but getting started is easy.
Read a birthing book, sign up for a workshop, or watch this documentary on childbirth. There—you’ve just taken your first step! Next, reach out to expecting parents, providers, and birth organizations in your area to get fresh perspectives and build your birth community.
Start small, and let curiosity be your guide. Before you know it, you’ll be gaining an invaluable education…and making choices that fit your philosophy and desired experience.
Ready to get empowered? Start educating yourself today.
- The Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer
- The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin
- From the Hips by Rebecca Odes and Ceridwin Morris
- Ina May Gaskin’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
- Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care by Jennifer Block
- Your Best Birth: Know All Your Options, Discover the Natural Choices, and Take Back the Birth Experience by Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein
- Make the most of your c section: prepare for a more natural and personalized birth by Mindy Brouse
- The essential c section guide – pain control, healing at home, getting your body back, and everything you need to know about a cesarean birth by Maureen Connolly and Dana Sullivan
- The Big Letdown: How Medicine, Big Business, and Feminism, Undermine Breastfeeding by Kimberly Seals Allers
Miriam: Home Delivery – follows one of the oldest professions. Miriam is a home birth midwife.Whilst in America, cesareans and hospital births are considered the norm, outside the mainstream there exists a network of home birth midwives working with women, as they exercise their choice, and regain ownership over the childbirth experience. Miriam and a group of determined mothers battle the unpredictable forces of nature, from bacteria to Super Storm Sandy, to fulfill the miracle of birth.